Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Forever Strong: Mud, blood and rugby. What else could you want?

What’s on now: Vanity Fair starring Reese Witherspoon. Now streaming on Netflix, but only available until March 15, so if it’s on your list, get on that!
I had never even heard of Forever Strong before. It popped up on my recommendations on Netflix, probably because I’d given four and five stars to just about any sports movie I’d ever seen before. What can I say? I’m an athlete. It doesn’t matter what sport it’s about or how similar they all tend to be, sports movies are my lifeblood.
Two words: Loved it. I didn’t even care that it was completely predictable. Starring Sean Faris, a tall dark and very handsome fellow who I had never even heard of, who plays your typical troubled teen who takes his anger out on opponents on the rugby pitch. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, Forever Strong is about rugby. If that doesn’t immediately send all you Invictus fans scrambling for your own copy, I don’t know what will. It’s streaming on Netflix now, go to it! I actually liked Forever Strong more than Invictus. Certainly not a better movie in general, but there was more emphasis on the sport than on the political history of the time period.
Anyway, Faris plays Rick, the troubled teen I told you about. He’s sent to juvenile hall after almost killing his girlfriend in a drunken driving accident. At the facility he’s angry and grappling with his daddy issues (Neal McDonough plays his dad and rugby coach), trying to be reached by a kind social worker-type man played by Sean Astin of Rudy and Lord of the Rings recognition. Rick is sent to another rugby team, unconventionally coached by Larry Gelwix (Gary Cole), to try to work out his frustrations on the pitch and learn real teamwork and inner strength. Forever Strong also stars Nathan West (Miracle) as Rick’s new teammate, who takes a while to warm up to him, and Lobster Todd from Easy A (Penn Badgley) as Rick’s old teammate and best friend, who resents him for trying to clean up his act.
As is to be expected in a good sports flick, the climax is at the end when the two teams face off for the U.S. national high school championship. I didn’t even know that existed, but apparently the film is actually based on true events. Who wins the game? Not telling. But it’s worth the watch to find out. The warrior chant the players do before the game made me want to run outside and start tackling other people on a muddy field. Thank goodness I had a good hold on my sense. It’s the kind of thing that will definitely get your blood pumping.
In all, Forever Strong will certainly be on my shopping list for when I need a mindless adrenaline rush or a pump-up movie before a competition. And as an extra bonus, Sean Faris surprised me into a new crush. What can I say? I’m a sucker for abs.




Starring: Sean Faris, Gary Cole, Neal McDonough, Sean Astin, Penn Badgley
Directed by: Ryan Little
Rated PG-13
2008

And for extra funsies, here's that warrior chant done by the cast of Forever Strong.  

No comments:

Post a Comment