Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Heath Ledger: Gone too soon

What’s on now: The Pianist now streaming on Netflix. Adrien Brody definitely deserved the Oscar for this one.

Every Tuesday will feature whichever actor or actress is rattling around my brain more than the others that week. This week’s winner is Heath Ledger, the promisingly talented young Aussie who tragically died in 2008 from a drug overdose.

I’d had a crush on Heath since I was twelve years old, ever since I saw him in my first-ever R-rated movie The Patriot. Looking back, it’s interesting to think about why I liked him so much. He wasn’t conventionally handsome, come to think of it, not like your typical young hotties these days who all look like they’ve escaped from an Abercrombie & Fitch advertisement. I think I was also drawn to his powerful on-screen presence. No matter what character he embodied, he always did it masterfully. The effort he put into immersing himself into a character was always noticeable.

I actually remember hearing the news that Heath had died. I was very sad. I even drew a special farewell message on my dorm room whiteboard. I knew the film industry had just lost one of the most promising young talents ever.

I remember for whatever reason, back when The Four Feathers first came out into theatres, I heard the film and Heath being discussed on the radio. The announcer said something like Heath was someone to watch, because if he kept going with performances like this, he could be the next Mel Gibson. Too true. Hopefully he wouldn’t have had the same ridiculous issues that Mel has had in his old age, but we’ll sadly never know.

This Saturday marks the three-year anniversary of Heath’s death. I’ve watched two of his movies in the past three days or so, and I’m deeply sorrowful that there won’t be any more. As a special tribute to Heath, here are my favorite scenes from my top five favorite of his movies.

5. A Knight’s Tale

Heath stars as William Thatcher, a peasant who disguises himself as a noble so he can compete in the joust. This scene always makes me chuckle. To prove his love for his lady, William is asked to lose a tournament. At first he refuses, but then, to the chagrin of his friends, he decides some things are more important than winning.

A Knight’s Tale is a fun sports film, especially because it gives a modern twist to medieval athletics, complete with screaming fans, trophies and Queen ballads.



4. The Patriot

The first film rated higher than PG-13 that I’ve ever seen. My parents let me watch it with them when I was 12 because it was about a historical time period. This clip contains massive spoilers by the way, so if you really don’t want to know anything about the movie, skip over this section.

The following is Heath’s death scene, one of the most heartbreaking  deaths in a film ever. He did a damn good job of it.



3. The Four Feathers

This is the epic battle scene from the movie I was talking about before. It’s a little less known, but deserves no less recognition. Heath plays a dishonored British soldier who follows his friends to war in order to redeem himself. He finds himself behind enemy lines, even among them in this battle.

This is a long clip, but it’s the only good one I could find online from this film. Heath shows up at 5:22, if you want to skip ahead.



2. 10 Things I Hate About You

Heath’s big break, the first time he was really noticed in America! This is my absolute favorite scene of the movie, which I love dearly. Heath plays juvenile delinquent Patrick Verona, who tries to woo the shrew played by Julia Stiles.



1. The Dark Knight

Heath’s most unforgettable role. He received countless posthumous awards for his iconic portrayal of the Joker, including an Oscar. It was his last full role (his unfinished part in The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus was taken on by Johnny Depp, Jude Law and Colin Farrell after he died), and it was definitely his most memorable, in my opinion.

I remember when I saw The Dark Knight in theatres, I did not recognize Heath at all. If I hadn’t already know that was him, I would have had not a clue as to who was that devilish genius behind Batman’s most deadly foe of all time.



I’ll miss Heath. I mourn the loss of him, his talent, and all the movies he will no longer make. But he has given us plenty of memorable films to keep forever in his memory. Though he was only with us for a short time, his lasting impression on the movie world will remain for a long, long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment